Have you stayed in these unusual Yorkshire Hotels? From a working monastery in Mirfield to a farm house, arty hostel and posh off-grid huts in North Yorkshire.
What sounds better than roaming the Yorkshire countryside, exploring quaint stone-bricked villages, absorbing the local Northern charm then heading back to base at one of these idyllic country stays? Steeped in tradition and beauty, a Yorkshire staycation is a great way to get a taste of the region and spark the adventurer in you. With shepherd huts, treehouse lodges, yurts and even an entire lighthouse, these are 21 unusual places to stay in Yorkshire you’ll absolutely want to book come rain or shine.
Boasting a beautiful view of the North Yorkshire countryside, each secluded hut has a private wood-fired hot tub, a fire pit and a log burner to cosy up by. Situated in an idyllic location to get out and explore the peaceful countryside and market town of Boroughbridge, with authentic pubs and local cuisine hemmed by stone cobbled streets nearby. Grab a glass of wine and relax in the hot tub as the sun sets over the horizon. Bliss.
“Waingates Lane, York, YO51 9NE”
“It’s in York, got 3 bedrooms and bathrooms”.
Price range is £160-£175 per night based on 2 nights
- “Quiet and secluded, the huts are a short walk from the village of Roecliffe with its award winning historical Inn
- Enhance your outdoor living experience by either relaxing in your own private wood-fired hot tub or cooking al-fresco on the gas barbecue.
- Each hut is set in its own secluded garden with a firepit so you can enjoy the peace and tranquility of the beautiful surroundings and wildlife in comfort.
- All wood for firepits, hot tubs and pizza oven provided, so no extra charges once you arrive.
- The perfect base to explore the spa town of Harrogate, historic Ripon and York”
Dogs allowed at no extra cost
- Studford Luxury Lodges
These elevated wooden treehouse lodges in the North York Moors National Park are sure to feed your adventurous side. Although these treehouses are far from modest, with luxury interiors including gadgets galore, a private hot tub and even a chauffeur service to grab a bite in the town included in your stay, you can sleep among the pines in style. It has easily earned its place on the list of most unusual places to stay in Yorkshire!
“High Street, Ampleforth, North Yorkshire”
A cluster of exclusive, treehouse lodges in the lush, Yorkshire moors, with luxe interiors, steamy hot tubs and private, in-lodge saunas…
3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms.
£260-500 per night based on 3 nights
- Each luxury treehouse has its own secluded country pocket and is elevated off the forest floor for a stunning, woodland outlook.
- Their interiors are a fusion of classic designs and modern styles, and include open-plan living areas and three double, en-suite bedrooms.
- Each of the six lodges is packed with the latest tech gadgets, including PS4’s, Smart TV’s and Sonos Sound Systems.
- While away your days roaming the magnificent York Moors National Park, horse riding, mountain biking or visiting the local landmarks.
- As the lodges are nestled in a remote woodland setting, a chauffeur service is provided to take you out for dinner.
- Our wonderful handmade super king size beds can be split into twins.
- Only some of the lodges are dog friendly and there is a surcharge for dogs.
- Next Door
Stylish, modern and full of character – a lovely barn conversion in a pretty Yorkshire village.
Not your average barn conversion, Next Door is a stylish getaway that provides some serious interior design inspo. This is everything you’d want from a city escape, with exposed brick and beams, original wooden floors and a cosy log burner to kick back by after a long day on the moors. In sunnier climes, wander the enchanting grassy grounds and courtyard for dining al fresco. Next Door invites you to ‘escape the every day’, which won’t be hard in such a chic space.
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
£135-£220 per night based on 3 nights low season and 7 nights high season
Sand Hutton, York YO41 1LB
- Spacious, comfortable barn conversion offering small groups an idyllic spot in a picturesque Yorkshire village.
- A child’s tent-style bed is offered as a sleeping option which will prove a real hit with young adventurers.
- There is a pretty courtyard with outdoor furniture, as well as expansive gardens with chickens and woodland.
- Bushcraft and forest school activities can be booked in advance.
- Free parking is available on site.
- A lovely welcome hamper of Yorkshire goodies awaits guests on their arrival.
- Dogs and children are very welcome.
- Bicycles are available for guest to explore the local area.
- An initial supply of logs is provided in the property, more are available in the honesty shop or can be bought locally.
- The Cow Shed
Step into a fairytale with a stay at this stunning stone cottage with the Yorkshire Dales National park as your back garden, which makes roaming the moors a dream. Cosy up with a cup of something warm and gaze out into the misty moorland or lull yourself into a daydream to the sound of the babbling brook that runs past the house. With local organic produce from nearby farms, you can make your stay sustainable as well as stylish. Only half an hour away from the famous Lake Windermere, this magical location will entice city slickers for a relaxing weekend getaway.
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
Price range is £170-£225 per night
Middleton, Carnforth, Yorkshire Dales
- Quaint, cute cottage for two that’s nestled in the Yorkshire Dales National Park near the Lake District.
- Enjoy a relaxing soak in the hot tub whilst listening to the nearby waterfall as you take in the view.
- The cottage features a fab living room with a Smart TV, as well as a nicely equipped kitchen.
- Comfy super-king size bed offers a great night’s sleep, and the bedroom also has a modern en suite shower room.
- Great access to some stunning scenery including Arnside, Silverdale, and the Forest of Bowland.
- There are no pets allowed.
- The kitchen has plenty of amenities though preparation space is limited.
- Manor Farm Spa
This impressive wooden chalet spa is not one to miss! Hidden away in the West Yorkshire countryside surrounded by farmers’ fields is Manor Farm Spa. Offering a deluxe stay package including aromatherapy, hot stone, and Swedish massage, as well as exfoliation, facials, and Reiki. If that wasn’t enough to send you and 8 friends instantly to the booking page then the hot tub, home-cooked locally-sourced dining, afternoon tea and a selection of fine local food and drink available will surely seal the deal.
Treatments, hot tub, and relaxation in the West Yorkshire countryside in these comfy, cosy chalets.
Watchit Hole Lane, Thorpe Audlin, Pontefract WF8 3HF
£179-£370 per night
2 bedrooms, 1 bathroom
- 2 Personal spa treatment escape where guests stay in one of two quirky chalets.
- Treatment schedule arranged around you and a selection of massages, exfoliation, and facials are available.
- Enjoy use of the hot tub for a relaxing soak after a day out exploring the countryside.
- Breakfast can be included, and dinner and afternoon tea is also available.
- Located in the picturesque West Yorkshire countryside.
- Bookings are only ever taken for one group at a time, so you have the entire premises to yourself.
- All alcoholic drinks are also included in the price of an overnight stay.
- Guests cannot bring their own alcohol.
- No jewellery or fake tan in the hot tub.
- Igluhuts at Waingates Farm Huts
You’ll be enchanted by the quirky cosiness of Peddero and Tayter, a wonderful IgluHut retreat with hot tub in the Yorkshire countryside – truly the great outdoors.
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
Price is £175-£195 per night based on 2 nights
- These gorgeous wooden cabin is romantic and a little different – you’ll find a king-size bed and a luxurious shower room inside
- With your own gas BBQ you can eat outside in the privacy of your own garden
- Peddero and Tayter have all you need, including TV and Wi-Fi, and your own mini-kitchen and dining area
- The village of Roecliffe is a short walk away, and Boroughbridge is just a couple of miles, with a nice choice of restaurants and pubs
- Fine cities like York, Harrogate and Ripon are within a short drive, as is the incredible countryside of the Yorkshire Dales
- Children under 16 are not permitted at Peddero or Tayter
- Dogs are allowed at a slight added cost of £10 per night.
Waingates Lane, York YO51 9NE
- Brompton Lake Lodges
Luxury, lakeside lodges on a private country estate, just a few miles away from the idyllic Yorkshire Dales…
Breathe in the serene landscape at this stunning property perched on top of an azure lake. Open plan dining and lounge areas include spectacular views of the rippling water. Set in 26 acre’s of woodland, adventure is right on your doorstep. With private chefs, secluded hot tubs, tennis courts, and saunas, you’ll be able to connect to nature’s pace of life in one of the more unusual places to stay in Yorkshire.
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
£185-£130 per night based on 2 night low season and 3 nights high season
- Brompton Lakes is a 26 acre private estate surrounded by mature woodlands and open fields.
- Choose from the dog-friendly cabins or go all out for those with their own hot tubs.
- Each of the lodges has three sumptuous bedrooms with plush bedding, feature walls and designer fittings.
- The comfortable homes each have their own contemporary style with bespoke interiors and an impeccable finish.
- The Percy and Jules lodges are set back from the lake and have their own outdoor hot tubs with views of the Dales.
- If you want to bring your furry friend then this is the place. 15 of the 20 lodges are perfect for dogs.
- The group BBQ area is available all year round though it must be booked in advance during Nov-February.
Easby Mews, Richmond DL10 7EJ
- North Star club Woodland Suites
Take a trip into the English woods and find eight rustic woodland suites that make for a truly enchanting and unique stay.
- Sleep in the woods, at this unique setting in the Yorkshire wolds with eight rustic suites that brim with character and charm.
- All suites boast a wood burner, king size bed and spa style bathroom. There’s also a communal relaxation area.
- Cook outdoors with a BBQ and ingredients delivered to your suite if you like.
- Experience everything Yorkshire has to offer, with sports, shopping, the seaside and plenty of restaurants nearby.
Price from £98 to £397 per night based on 2 nights
- The spa bathroom of the suites is accessed via the main bedroom. You can however also access it from outside through the french doors which every room has.
Sancton, York YO43 4RE
- Wolds Edge treehouse
Just outside the historic city of York is the unique and romantic Wolds Edge Treehouse complete with private hot tub
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom for 2 people
£225-£285 per night based on 2 nights low season and 3 nights high season
- Raised wooden treehouse in rural East Yorkshire.
- Wooden deck is complete with a private hot tub, making evenings in a dream.
- Open plan living and sleeping area means you can spread out and relax in style.
- King size bed with comfy sofa and flat screen TV at its foot for added luxury.
- Fully equipped kitchen with dining table makes dinner time a treat.
- Located in the Yorkshire Wolds and just 12 miles from York.
- No children or pets.
- No smoking or barbecues.
- No Sunday arrivals.
- Minimum 2 night stay.
- Top Tip: We would recommend small bags or suitcases when packing and flat shoes as this will make the ascent to your Treehouse retreat much easier.
Main St, Bishop Wilton, York YO42 1RX
Collection of high-end yurts with, private outside hot tubs, set within the beautiful Yorkshire dales.
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
- Idyllic country retreat offering comfy yurts that even come with their own hot tubs for added luxury.
- Take the hassle out of cooking with one of our meal boxes, bursting with the hand-selected local produce you need to cook up a delicious breakfast or barbecue for your whole party.
- With a flushing toilet, hot shower and kitchenette, each of the yurts represents the thrill and magic of life under canvas with none of the compromise of conventional camping.
- Extraordinary views of Meadow from your yurt, your hot tub, and your own private decking.
- We now offer 21ft communal yurts for up to thirty people, ideal for hens, stags, student parties and family reunions.
- Bookings start on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and there is a two night minimum stay.
- Dogs are not permitted in the Yurtsite itself.
- Additional logs to heat the hot tub and burn in the internal wood-burning stove and outside fire pit are £5 each, and charcoal for the barbecue is not provided.
2 The Cottages, Aldfield, Ripon HG4 3BE
- The Grey Shed
This bright and modern space has all the comforts of home in a beautiful lofty space close to the Howardian hills. The bench-style open plan kitchen is perfect for entertaining guests, and as the evening sweeps over the meadow enjoy dining under the stars in the outdoor area. With exquisite attention to detail, The Grey Shed is sure to entice guests to fill this quirky place with laughter and fond memories.
Sitting on the edge of the majestic Howardian Hills, this spacious contemporary barn blends Scandinavian-style simplicity with a comforting, homespun edge.
£136-£367 per night based on 3 nights
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom
- Spacious contemporary barn for two surrounded by the picturesque Yorkshire countryside.
- Generous supply of logs for wood burner and fire pit.
- Blends a Scandinavian-style simplicity with a homespun edge.
- Guests will be greeted by a complimentary hamper, stocked with local artisanal products.
- Listen to your favourite vinyls on the Bang & Olufsen record player.
- This property sleeps a maximum of two people and is not suitable for children, but babies in arms are welcome.
- Due to the remote location, travelling by car is advisable.
- Pets are prohibited.
- Camp Katur Domes
Camp Kátur Glamping is set in Camp Hill estate, within 250 acres in the beautiful North Yorkshire countryside. It offers tranquil accommodation in private tents, BBQ facilities, and sauna.
All the accomodations in Camp Kátur Glamping feature outdoor furniture. Some have a seating area with a fireplace and a bathroom. Some of our accommodations benefit from electricity.
Guests can use the communal kitchen, camp fire areas, and a selection of board games and garden games.
During the day there are activities on the estate. This camping benefits from a cafe bar with beer garden, and basic convenience store.
The property is only 1.5 miles from the A1 road. Bedale is 6 miles away, and the historic market city of Ripon is 10 miles away.
Couples particularly like the location — they rated it 8.8 for a two-person trip.
- Swinton Bivouac
Set within the 20,000 acre grounds of the spectacular Swinton Estate who recently featured on the BBC’s Amazing Hotels. Choose to swing up in the Tree Lodge, lounge in the Meadow Yurt, or kick back with your friends in the twelve bunk Barn, you can have it all at the Bivouac. Filled with upcycled and handmade furniture, these cosy wooden forest dwellings are eco friendly too. The onsite cafe sells local produce and holds workshops and events, creating a happy hub of campers. Or visit the hotel for fine food, cookery classes, spa days and much more.
Swinton Bivouac offers glamping accommodation in the 20,000 acre Swinton Estate, located 4.2 miles from Masham. The property is set in the Yorkshire Dales, offering views of the surrounding countryside.
Lodge guests have use of the meadow tipi with a fire pit. Yurt guests have access to the communal hot tub and shared outdoor seating area, which includes a fire pit and play area for boules and swing ball.
The Lodges and Yurts have a cooking facility with bedding provided. There is no electricity.
There is bike hire, horse riding and falconry offered nearby, along with a country club and spa. The Druid’s Temple is 200 yards from the property.
Pets allowed, spa and wellness centre, Free Parking and a bar
The Bivouac, High Knowle Farm, Knowle Lane, Ripon HG4 4JZ
- High Fellside Hall
Sleeps 18 people, 7 bedrooms, 7 bathrooms, no pets allowed
The true meaning of luxury, set against the backdrop of wild Howgill Fells, atop a hillside above the Lune Valley, lies High Fellside Hall. With seven bedrooms, a snug set including a log burner, leisure suite with an indoor heated pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi, pilates area, and luscious lawns to soak up the sun in, you’ll want to move in permanently. Set in five acres of land, this stunning location has it all.
Sedburgh, Yorkshire Dales National Park
- Peaks and Pods
Beautiful camping pods, with luxe extras, nestled on the edge of the seriously stunning Yorkshire Dales.
£110-£170 per night based on 2 nights minimum
- Hire one of the luxury pods to enjoy your very own hot tub.
- Luxurious extras can be added to any stay from bottles of fizz on arrival, to woollen blankets, fairy lights, and plentiful food hampers. Ask about the ‘Pure Luxury’ package.
- These stunning cedar-clad camping pods promise to be warm and cosy all year round with full insulation, heating, double-glazed windows – plus free kiln-dried logs for the outdoor firepits.
- Being situated in the glorious Yorkshire countryside doesn’t mean you’ll be cut off from the modern world – with good mobile coverage, free WiFi, power sockets and USB chargers.
- The Hub is a fabulous covered communal space that comes complete with its very own wood-fired pizza oven.
- There is a designated parking area next to the pod site a short walking distance away – only one vehicle per pod (except by prior arrangement).
- Unfortunately the owners cannot accept dogs due to the close proximity of livestock.
16) The Old Water Pumphouse
- One of Yorkshire’s most unique and impressive holiday cottages
- Outdoor space with hot tub enjoying the most incredible views
- Set within 35 acres of private moorland above the spa town of Ilkley
- 1 bedroom – king-size
- 1 bathroom – walk-in shower and WC, 1 separate WC
- Utility room – sink, washing machine and tumble dryer
- Electric underfloor heating
- Off-road parking
- Wi-Fi included
- Regret no pets
- Pub and shop within 2 miles
- LCD TV, SONOS sound system
- Hot tub
- Over 21’s
- Regret no children
- Arrival: 16:00 onwards
- Departure: before 10:00, unless otherwise stated in your arrival details
Heather Bank, Hillings Ln, Menston, Ilkley LS29 6AU
Breathe in the fresh sea air at this holiday cottage at a lighthouse, with spectacular views and easy access to the beach below.
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
£928-£1748 Per week based on 2 nights
- Stunning sea views.
- Enclosed garden with a deck overlooking the sea.
- Within easy reach of a beach.
- The Yorkshire coast with Whitby, Sandsend and Robin Hood’s Bay are all nearby.
- No pets allowed.
- Two night minimum stay.
- Sorry, no barbecues or fireworks permitted.
- Drivers with low axles should be aware that the site is approached via a farm track.
18) The Chicken Shed
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, no pets,
- Over one floor
- Open plan living area with kitchen, dining, sitting and fold-away bed
- En-suite shower room with basin and WC
- Gas heating
- Gas oven and hob
- Fuel and power inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Ample off road parking
- Wide open field and seated area
- One well behaved dog welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Note: This is an eco-friendly property with fold away furnishings
- Note:This property has won an award for Best Accommodation in North Yorkshire! Note: Property close to main road, associated noise may be heard
- Note: Property is on shared grounds
- This property has a 12v electric supply with an outside charger
Manor Farm House, Whitby
19) The Lookout Addingham
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, pets allowed.
Has Hot tub, off road parking, Sauna, garden/patio, High chair, cot available, Washing machine, dishwasher, broadband and Wifi.
- Two bedrooms: 1 x super king-size (zip/link, can be twin on request) with en-suite shower, basin and WC, 1 x king-size with en-suite shower, basin and WC
- Cloakroom with basin and WC
- Open-plan living room with sitting area with woodburning stove, dining area and kitchen
- Ground source underfloor heating system with individual room controllers
- Electric hob, electric oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, Smart TV with Freeview, WiFi, Bose Bluetooth speaker
- Fuel and power incl in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Travel cot and highchair on request
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Front decked area with Jacuzzi hot tub
- One well-behaved pet welcome
- Sorry, no smoking
- Shops and pubs 5 mins walk. Note: This property was awarded Winner of the Jacuzzi European Dealership Award for the Best Holiday Park Installation in the UK
High Mill ln, Olicana Caravan Park
20) Evening Star at the Engine Shed
Evening Star Engine Shed in Whitby offers accommodation with free WiFi, 1.7 miles from Whitby Abbey, less than 0.6 miles from Captain Cook Memorial Museum and an 11-minute walk from Whitby Lighthouse. Featuring free private parking, the apartment is in an area where guests can engage in activities such as golfing, cycling and fishing.
The apartment is fitted with 2 separate bedrooms and includes a kitchen with a dishwasher, microwave and dining area.
Whitby Museum is 0.8 miles from the apartment, while Whitby Pavillion is 1.4 miles away. The nearest airport is Durham Tees Valley Airport, 44.1 miles from Evening Star Engine Shed.
This is our guests’ favourite part of Whitby, according to independent reviews.
Langbourne Rd, Whitby
21) The Rowan Yurt
1 bedroom, 1 bathroom, no pets allowed.
Has Hot tub, swimming pool, off road parkingGarden/Patio, Washing machine, Pub shop 1 mile away
, ground floor bedroom, Sauna, open fire,
- All ground floor
- Open plan yurt accommodation with one king-size double bed, dining area and sitting area with woodburning stove
- Shower room with shower, basin and WC
- Gas underfloor heating with woodburning stove
- Combination microwave/oven, 2-ring gas hob, fridge, shared use of on-site washing machine and tumble dryer, iPod dock, CD/radio, WiFi available in farm shop
- Fuel, power and fuel for stove inc. in rent
- Bed linen and towels inc. in rent
- Off road parking for 2 cars
- Decked area with hot tub, furniture and BBQ
- Use of owner’s indoor swimming pool, sauna & steam room by arrangement
- Sorry, no pets and no smoking
- Shop 1 mile, pub/restaurant 10 mins walk
- Note: No TV, WiFi only available in farm shop
- Note: Yurt accessed via a gravel woodland track, suitable for cars
- Note: The swimming pool is 12.5m x 6.5m and up to 1.45m deep
- It is open from 9am – 9:30pm each day, and the owner guarantees guests a 60 minute slot each day by prior arrangement, which during peak times may be shared with one other cottage
- Note: No children, including infants
- Note: Kitchen and shower room attached to yurt and accessed via internal door
- Note: Check-in 2.30pm, check-out 10.30am. This property doesn’t take 7 night bookings
Upper Gate, Hepworth