It’s that time of year already as people get ready to celebrate Halloween.
Here are 11 things to do and buy at the Ridings this Halloween:
- Grab a Halloween cake from M and S – You can call at M and S in the Ridings and either take some spooky cakes away or have one in the cafe, they are called Hairy Harri Halloween cakes
- Wakefield BID Ghost Train – Will you be sat next to Mrs Havisham? Will you know? Will you hear her scream? This is 28th and 29th October3) Pick some spooky goodies up from Cardzone- Cardzone have some spooky goodies to help you decorate your house for Halloween
- Pick up some gifts and goodies at The Ridings Halloween Speciality Fayre 29-30 October. With a wide range of stalls selling specialty products you’ll be certain to find something to treat yourself to. Plus on Sundays there’s free face painting – perfect for your own little monsters. On the hunt for fang-tastic costumes for your little ones? Visit Primark on the middle mall. Prices from just £12.
- Make Spooky Wooky Naan Ghosts with Wakefield’s and GBBO’s own Karen Wright. In support of Wakefield BID ‘Wicked Wakefield’ event and to make Wakefield City centre the place to be this Halloween, come and have some ghoulish, spooky fun and create some Naan ghosts on Saturday 29th October. Karen will show you how to make the perfect Spooky Wooky Naan Ghosts and devilish tomato and mango salsa, and it’s all FREE.
- Suitable for all ages and for the whole family, book your tickets now at https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/karen-wright-spooky-wooky-naan-ghosts-tickets-430398121367 for the 11am session, https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/karen-wright-spooky-wooky-naan-ghosts-tickets-430406536537 for the 12.30pm session and https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/karen-wright-spooky-wooky-naan-ghosts-tickets-430405513477 for the 2pm session. Be quick, before they all disappear.
The Ridings is part of Wakefield BID’s Halloween celebrations, they will ensure that Wakefield becomes the spooky centre of Yorkshire.
Across the 28th and 29th October, the city centre will be turned into a unique experiential experience, with 2 standalone selfie rooms with 2 different spooky styles:
- The Birds – A Victorian-style street bench and lamppost with black crows, cobweb-covered, dark and haunting.
- Spider sitting room – A spooky seating where a giant spider is just ready to get you. Chesterfield sofa and haunt portraits covered with spider webs and a giant spider.
If visitors are brave enough, they are invited to use the rooms and encouraged to share their content for a chance to win shopping vouchers from a business in the city centre, fancy dress is encouraged.
Free face painting will be offered and a selection of dress up items for those who just want to take part on the day.
7) Family workshops such as make and take activity to create glow in the dark scratch art, witch and wizard hat making and scary mask making will take place in different locations across the city centre.
Come along as part of Wakefield BIDs ‘Jurassic Wakey’ event and create some Dino Dirt desserts.
Karen will show you how to make the perfect Dinosaur dirt dessert
First, Karen will show you how to make chocolate ganache.
Then each child will have ganache spooned into a jug, then the fun begins… each child then builds the Dino dirt dessert, they will smash up Oreos and lay this dirt into bottom of pot, the add maybe coco pops, then ganache, few Dino eggs, then layer it up and top off with more dirt, Dino eggs, a Dino sweet and a small plastic Dino figure.
Dinosaur dirt dessert!
Plus its vegetarian friendly to!
Suitable for all ages and for the whole family, parents must be present and stay for the duration of the workshop.
*Tickets only needed for the children taking part.
Book HERE for Saturday 11am
Book HERE for Saturday 12.30am
Book HERE for Saturday 2pm
Book HERE for Sunday 11am
Book HERE for Sunday 12.30pm
Book HERE for Sunday 2pm
9) Pick up a pumpkin spiced latte at Joy’s Coffee Bar
- Discover Halloween decor to give them ‘pumpkin’ to talk about. Poundland’s spooky, boo and striped pumpkins look right at home in this collection. Find them in the middle mall. Ceramic pumpkins – £2 each.
11) Also Poundland have all you need to Halloween at just £1 each. Find them in the middle mall.
Elsewhere, away from The Ridings is Prepare to jump at Gravity Yorkshire this Halloween as ghosts and ghouls take over the trampoline park, in celebration of all things spooky and scary, the UK’s best trampoline park are offering an assortment of devilish delights for haunted halfterm from 23rd to 27th October. Thrill-seekers can take to the trampolines to raise adrenaline levels as they battle creepy crawlies, ghosts and ghouls. For the duration of haunted half-term, bouncers can immerse themselves in the horrors with the second hour of open bounce sessions on offer for only £4.95.
On Saturday 29th October, 5-7pm those who dare risk it, can bounce amongst devils for a spooktacular two hour Halloween Party while creepy tunes take over the venue. Beasts, bouncers and bloodsuckers should come dressed in scariest costumes with a chance to ger their claws on some awesome prizes including slushies, ice cream and free bounce.
Alternatively, parents and toddlers can join in on the fang-tastic line up of events with themed parent and toddler bounce sessions featuring torch-lit ghost stories on Friday 28th and Saturday 29th October , ideal for bonding with little thrill-seekers.
Dare to enter the haunted half-term at Gravity Yorkshire this spooky season for thrills that will make you jump!